Coin edge with incuse lettering

11 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hi all,

I wonder if the mint really have a standard of minting it in a standard? Recently I have found a very interesting Singapore 50 cents coins both of them the edge one is upside down lettering. I am wondering if i hit a error coin as these 50 cents coins are going to be collected back soon....

Be kind to people. Sharing is Caring. Collect what you like and not by the Crowd.
To seek for perfection, it is too painful and there is a very high price to pay. To seek for something comfortable is more easy. To seek for nothing is even more easy.
It is random, so is 50/50 which way up the edge lettering is. After that lettering
is put on, they go into a container waiting to have obverse and reverse put
on, and it is an even chance which way up they come out of the container.
There are various topics on the forum that mention it. :)
I see. Interesting.
Be kind to people. Sharing is Caring. Collect what you like and not by the Crowd.
To seek for perfection, it is too painful and there is a very high price to pay. To seek for something comfortable is more easy. To seek for nothing is even more easy.
Also here is this from 2017 ...
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic56243.html
I remember reading it on a website (maybe Royal Mint) that also agrees.
When the Two Euro coins first came out some people made a big deal about the orientation and some sellers jacked up prices on "rare" forms.
It does depend on the mint and the product specification.

I have a stack of these French 5 franc coins (OK, yes I am a "silver stacker") 1960-69.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces679.html

43 pieces, including examples of all 10 years of the production.
Every single one has the edge lettering oriented the same way up.
Not only that, the legend is placed at exactly the same position relative the the face design on every single coin.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Quote: "Mr. Midnight"​It does depend on the mint and the product specification.​

​That's right. It's not always random and it's not always the same within some countries.

Other examples besides the French 5 francs:
- Older Italian silver 1, 2 and 5 lire have position A as well as position B but the 500 lire (km# 98) all have position B (at least I've never seen a position A yet).
- Swiss 5 francs, both silver and copper-nickel type, all have position A only although the commemorative 5 francs (or at least several of them) have position A as well as position B.
- Belgium is a case apart. Some types are random, some types only have one position and some types have both positions but in all kinds of ratios, going from 98:2 to 55:45. Some types even have differences depending on the date: some dates all have the same position while other dates have both positions, random or not.
Quote: "Mr. Midnight"​It does depend on the mint and the product specification.

​I have a stack of these French 5 franc coins (OK, yes I am a "silver stacker") 1960-69.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces679.html

​43 pieces, including examples of all 10 years of the production.
​Every single one has the edge lettering oriented the same way up.
​Not only that, the legend is placed at exactly the same position relative the the face design on every single coin.
​Nice! Silver stacker or not does not really matter to me. But just imagining you own a chest of 100 pieces of silver will make a man happy. If you own 100 pieces of meiji 1 yen, you will laugh whole night with a bottle or rum.
Thank you for all the information. Really a eye opening for me.
Very Interesting! These errors of edge lettering keep occurring randomly due to several factors.. not sure if the market value should be raised for commonly found errors..
For the Canadian $2 coin, it's 50/50. The coins are first struck and only then fed into the edge-lettering machine.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 18:50.