Globus Cruciger with a Z [solved]

8 posts
Hello---
I have several coins from the Rhine Pfalz area in the 1500s to 1600s with a globus cruciger on them. On the bottom half of these globus symbols is a Z. Does anyone know what that Z stands for? Also, one of these coins is a Half Batzen from Pfaltz-Simmern. It was issued in 1571 by Richard as Count Palatine under Maximillian as Holy Roman Emperor. Maximilian's title is shown as MAXI · Z · ROMA · IMP · DEC, which translates to Maximilian Z_____ Romanorum Imperator Decreto, or Maximillian ______ Roman Emperor by Decree. Does anyone know what this Z stands for, in Latin and/or English? Many Thanks---
Quote: "CobaltBlue"​Hello---
​I have several coins from the Rhine Pfalz area in the 1500s to 1600s with a globus cruciger on them. On the bottom half of these globus symbols is a Z. Does anyone know what that Z stands for? Also, one of these coins is a Half Batzen from Pfaltz-Simmern. It was issued in 1571 by Richard as Count Palatine under Maximillian as Holy Roman Emperor. Maximilian's title is shown as MAXI · Z · ROMA · IMP · DEC, which translates to Maximilian Z_____ Romanorum Imperator Decreto, or Maximillian ______ Roman Emperor by Decree. Does anyone know what this Z stands for, in Latin and/or English? Many Thanks---
​The ‘Z’ is actually a numeral 2. It indicates that the coin is a 2 kreuzer (which of course is also equal to a 1/2 batzen).
Welcome also to Numista :D
Thank you for pointing out that the Z on the globus is actually a 2, not a Z. Now that I look at other denominations, I see other numbers there. Also, thank you to a previous poster from yesterday, who mentioned that a Z in a legend could be for "et cetera". I see that the post disappeared over night for some reason, but that was valuable information.
Quote: "CobaltBlue"​Thank you for pointing out that the Z on the globus is actually a 2, not a Z. Now that I look at other denominations, I see other numbers there. Also, thank you to a previous poster from yesterday, who mentioned that a Z in a legend could be for "et cetera". I see that the post disappeared over night for some reason, but that was valuable information.
Welcome :D You will also see this in dates on some coins, as well. I have several German States talers that have this variation (8Z instead of 82, for example). I have never heard of Z indicating et cetera in certain cases before~ maybe another member can shed some light on this.
About two-fifths of the way down this page ...
http://muzeydeneg.ru/eng/?p=550
so if there is a lot of lettering that ideally the mint would like on a coin,
in the past they had to remove some lettering and put a Z in to indicate such removal -
to then make shorter lettering to be able to fit on the coin.
Quote: "ZacUK"​ About two-fifths of the way down this page ...
http://muzeydeneg.ru/eng/?p=550
​so if there is a lot of lettering that ideally the mint would like on a coin,
​in the past they had to remove some lettering and put a Z in to indicate such removal -
​to then make shorter lettering to be able to fit on the coin.
​Glad to learn the explanation in the case of when it appears in a legend :)
Yes. Surprised they did not use it on this coin ...
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces36558.html
with an unbelievable amount of abbreviations already on there. (8

½ Thaler (Carl Theodor) - Electorate of Bavaria (German states)

Obverse Lettering:
C TH D G C P R V B D S R I A & E & I P RH SV & I FR PRO & VIC
Carl Theodor Dei Gratia Comes Palatinus Rheni Utriusque Bavariae Dux Sacri Romani Imperii
Archidapifer et Elector et In Partibus Rheni Suevici et Juris Franconici Provisor et Vicarius

Reverse Lettering:
IVL CL & MONT D L L P M M M A Z C V S M & R D I R 1790
Juliaci Cliviae et Montium Dux Landgravius Leuchtenbergae Princeps Meursiae Marchio Montis
Ad Zonam Comes Veldentiae Sponhemi Marcae et Ravensbergae Dominus In Ravenstein 1790

Yes - I added those lettering translations to the coin page, and await referee approval.
Thank you for the information. When I first researched this, I wondered if Z stood for Zweite (German for the Second), since Maximilian is the Second Max HRE. But this seemed like an odd switch between languages since the rest is in Latin.
Status changed to Solved (CobaltBlue, 21-Mar-2019, 16:37)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:22.