Can you spot the fake?

21 posts

» Quick access to the last post

It finally happened, I bought a fake coin and didn’t find out until I got it home...
Can you find it?

Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Top right one?
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Quote: "apuking"​Top right one?
​Would say top right one aswell, The Face looks much different from the others :D
I’m thinking the top right
Hello,
I would say topright considering the lips of Lady Liberty and the branch which the eagle is holding.
Quote: "apuking"​Top right one?
​yes ?
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
I dont know these coins but top right have small numbers in date in compare with others.
Top right also because of arrowhead?

The 1900 (top right) the edge/rim (or the lack of a rim) and denticles are wrong. That's not to say the others are authentic. But the 1900 looks off. The eagles beak looks squished as well.

Aaron
I sell my Duplicate or Un-Needed coins on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/str/coinsandmorenj.
1900 O. RIB in Pluribus is wrong and foliage almost touches the denticles in same area among other issues previously mentioned. A very common Chinese forgery unfortunately.
compared to a good one, your 1900o looks strange
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Usa-One-Dollar-1900-O-Silver-Morgan-Very-Nice-Coin/192850427582?hash=item2ce6c7febe:g:o9sAAOSwmrlUxiqI
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Quote: "aaronmgd"​The 1900 (top right) the edge/rim (or the lack of a rim) and denticles are wrong. That's not to say the others are authentic. But the 1900 looks off. The eagles beak looks squished as well.

​Aaron
​I agree, the 1900-O has bad denticles, which leads me to believe it's a fake.
I guess the 1891 is fake, I am not an expert in this kind of coins, but something let me doubt this one....
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
Quote: "redsmithstudios"​It finally happened, I bought a fake coin and didn’t find out until I got it home...
​ Can you find it?

​I'm not using my time on that kind of games! Have fun!

Ole
Globetrotter
Coin varieties in French:
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
when do we get the answer, and how did you actually determine the fakeness?
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
I also believe it's the top right one, and I came to this conclusion before looking at any of the replies.

Because of the lighting, it's easier to see on the reverse (though you can guess it on the obverse as well) that the surface of the letters are rough. That's because it's difficult to polish the incused letters on a fake die produced by electrolysis.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Good work guys! Top right it is.

I bought this in a large lot and didn't have time to look at each coin very well. Once I got home and sat down I could tell something was wrong, and the first thing I did was the ice test. It failed the ice test. Then I weighed it on my scale, it passed that test and doesn't stick to a magnet. Then I measured it with calipers, perfect diameter, but its too thick! I called the guy I got it from and he gave me my money back, but he didn't believe it was a fake. He took it to the coin shop and the coin guy couldn't tell....
coin shop guy put it on a density machine and said it was indeed a fake. I don't know about this machine, does anyone know about this density machine?
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

The “machine”: It’s about $600, somewhat bulky, and a little difficult to use.
https://www.coinsupplyexpress.com/precious-metal-verifier
https://www.sigmametalytics.com/
Dealers need it to spot good fakes, for the rest of us it’s an opulent toy. IMO only for an advanced gold or silver collector. A few dealers have let me use one, but you really need to know your stuff to make it useful. It’s too large to put in your pocket, about the size of a medium hardcover book.
how much too thick is it?
is it obvious if you put it between two good ones?
Quote: "Mr. Midnight"​how much too thick is it?
​is it obvious if you put it between two good ones?
​yes. I set a good one and the fake one beside each other on a table and could tell the difference before I measured it with the calipers. Only about half a millimeter difference but visible to the eye.

Interesting. A silver plated copper/nickel forgery would only need to be 15% thick to weight the right amount, and that is visible if you are looking for it.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:55.