Fire at Notre Dame

18 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Most of you may have seen the still ongoing fires at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.

An unbelievable tragedy fell upon a mankind's patrimony and one of the most famous places of the planet.
This is worst than the fire in Rio de Janeiro's museum last year. I didn't believed such a tragedy would happen again.

The French forum already opened a space for it: https://fr.numista.com/forum/topic81462.html, if you want to share condolences with them.

Now I leave the word with the french members.
Yes terrible news, any kind of Human History and treasure lost is terrible saddening. I heard that some of the main historically important objects could be saved but a lot has been lost.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
What’s sad is that the cathedral is 800 years old, and we’ve just lost part of this incredible history. Like you said, it reminds me of the Brazilian museum fire, but this is worse. This cathedral was a symbol of the French people, and it’s sad to think that they lost part of their heritage today. Of course they will be able to rebuild it, but we’ll always know it will never be the same.
Such a horrible loss for the world.
I couldn’t believe it when I saw it on the news. Such a sad thing. I hope no person was injured. It’s really devastating how a building that stood strong for over 800 years was nearly destroyed by a fire.
It's far from being as bad as it seems, the roof burned, yes, and the 19th century spire, however, the vaulted stone ceilings held up (13th century engineering!), so it seems to only be a question of putting a new roof back on, for the rest, they won't even have to clean the floors.
Thank god
I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!
Quote: "Hello There"​I couldn’t believe it when I saw it on the news. Such a sad thing. I hope no person was injured. It’s really devastating how a building that stood strong for over 800 years was nearly destroyed by a fire.
​When a friend told me "Notre Dame is on fire" I at first thought it was some church in a small town by hat name (since lots of churches in the Francophone world are named our lady), but then I looked at the news and it was the one in Paris. 8~
Quote: "loruca"​It's far from being as bad as it seems, the roof burned, yes, and the 19th century spire, however, the vaulted stone ceilings held up (13th century engineering!), so it seems to only be a question of putting a new roof back on, for the rest, they won't even have to clean the floors.
​Thank god
​Yes, true- but the artwork and relics that were lost, these cannot be replaced. Very sad... 8.
Quote: "Napoleon1"
Quote: "loruca"​It's far from being as bad as it seems, the roof burned, yes, and the 19th century spire, however, the vaulted stone ceilings held up (13th century engineering!), so it seems to only be a question of putting a new roof back on, for the rest, they won't even have to clean the floors.
​​Thank god
​​Yes, true- but the artwork and relics that were lost, these cannot be replaced. Very sad... 8.
​Do we know what's been lost?
All I know of is one of the rosettes...
The woodwork has been lost for certain though.
I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!
Since this horrific disaster, in the UK there has been great debate over the safety of Westminster for MP's as it is being restored. I'm sure it'd be a shock if the building went ablaze during a fiery Brexit debate. Although this terrible tragedy has shocked the world there is a large move to repair the Historic building. Even PSG has pledged €600,000. The total repair fund in the two days since is €1 billion and rising and for being restored it is predicted to take until 2024. I heard on the news yesterday from a historian that was just about to make a documentary on Notre Dame that the roof we saw aflame was most likely to have been the origin of the fire.
My condolences to the people of France.
          'We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.'
                                                      Sir Winston Churchill
Hello,
It seems it ended not too bad. Not that much lost if we think of the worst.
The fire fighters did apparently a great job in limiting the fire and saving the main front towers.
The piece of vault that collapsed was under the spire and though impressive, it is a small part of the whole building if the rest is fine (limestone that bakes doesn't remain very stable).
The main large "rosaces" seem ok, hopefully (lead melts ... :snif:).
I was personnaly very impressed by the speed of the whole thing. Started approx 19H, most was gone 2 h later.
Just try to imagine the major 18-19th century city fires when most houses where made of wood !!!
There is fortunately enough skill these days in the world to fix all that.
Few know that the roof of the Stephan's dom in Vienna, a similar cathedral, is a steel structure rebuilt after the WWII. It does not change the atmosphere inside the place.
So fingers crossed that the experts won't find too much hidden damage.
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
When I read about this, I immediately got a pit in my stomach. Truly a sad moment for history.Later in the day, I read where many relics were saved.That really lightened my mood. At least we have that.
I have never been in Notre Dame, nor even been to italy. But growing up catholic, it has been in my families conversations since I was a small boy.

I also offer condolences to the people of France,

John
I'm glad that the building has mostly remained intact. What surprises me even more than the speed of the fire, is the speed at which billionaires, millionaires and people in general are falling over themselves to donate to its reconstruction. Its a good thing in of itself, but in a more global context where significant sections of ordinary french people and people across the world still go hungry or are neglected of basic essentials of life, its telling that we are ready to invest more in putting a building back together than helping uplift our fellow (wo)man and the environment.

I don't know if they really need more than a billion euros to put a roof back on Notre Dame, but with that sort of money, I imagine they could easily make it of solid gold!
Outings administrator
Quote: "ashlobo"​I don't know if they really need more than a billion euros to put a roof back on Notre Dame, but with that sort of money, I imagine they could easily make it of solid gold!
​I don’t know about solid gold. Maybe gold filled?
Do you think it was different in the time they built it?

Think about it.... 800 years ago... they could have used the stones to build a thousand houses ...
and with the wood for the roof probably another thousand...

also then 800 years ago the poor remained in the cold.
Quote: "PhilipBe"​Do you think it was different in the time they built it?

​Think about it.... 800 years ago... they could have used the stones to build a thousand houses ...
​and with the wood for the roof probably another thousand...

​also then 800 years ago the poor remained in the cold.
No doubt! However, back then the king and his coterie of nobles were sovereign and not the people, so arbitrary decisions to spend on vanity projects could be made willly nilly at the expense of the peasants.

i suspect that certain billionaires and others may be more interested in having a plaque dedicated to them etched in some stone or prominent area of the newly renovated building; much more glamorous than funding social programmes where your name/brand can’t be seen anywhere.

That said, atleast the money is going to a good cause. I hope maybe the left over money will go to social development in the more neglected areas of Paris and other areas of France
Outings administrator
Quote: "KLiao"
Quote: "ashlobo"​​I don't know if they really need more than a billion euros to put a roof back on Notre Dame, but with that sort of money, I imagine they could easily make it of solid gold!
​​
​​I don’t know about solid gold. Maybe gold filled?
​could be, could be! We already got a billion in a matter of hours, so who knows!
Outings administrator
It is very tragic and a beautiful building. I was lucky enough to visit it 5 years ago on a European tour.
The response by the French has been very heartwarming with the billionaire donating hundreds of millions of Euros.

The building is a national and a global treasure, a testament to medieval genius and a shrine of French history and strength.

However, the crown of thorns I doubt dates from Jesus's time, when Britain went Protestant in the 1500s, they found mountains of so called holy relics in Cathedrals and monasteries, most fake and gruesome and used to lure pilgrims and their cash.

Also if it helps the spire only dated from the time of Louis Philippe rather than Philip Augustus or Louis le Pious.

Still, we are all thankful that the bulk of the building has survived and the cash is ready to rebuild.
I love coins

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 14:07.