FRANCE SILVER 5 FRANCS 1809 - 1814 NAPOLEON

10 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hi guys. Straight forward question: How much will i have to expect a FRANCE SILVER 5 FRANCS 1809 - 1814 NAPOLEON to cost at different variations of quality. As an example; whats this one worth? Napoelon coins are dramatically overpriced, i am sure, but still....

This site has quite well fitting catalogue values for french coins https://www.lefranc.net/monnaie,5-francs-napol-on-empereur-empire-fran-ais,307.html
the pictured coin has quite a few cuts and bruises but still has a attractive look with an old patina
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Thanks for the feedback :) . What kind of grade would you give the exact coin pictured? Lots of dents etc, but pretty nice look to it still.
I would say a bit too much wear for XF but a solid VF+ with attractive toning (but as I said also some shocks and older scratches)
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
I agree Apuking VF (TB in french) and a nice patina:love:

L mintmark stands for Bayonne so here you can compare conditions and prices:

https://www.cgb.fr/boutique_recherche,JF08EE02C79046A1.html
The coin pictured was at sale for 75 USD on EBAY. No bids. Does this mean its an obvious fake or is that price actually too high?
That sound like a reasonable price.
I have no doubt about its authenticity.

Ebay is a bidding site so people prefer bids starting at 1€
could well have reached a price of over 75 if auction started at 1€ but its always a gamble, but one that I believe is worth it for most of the times with 1€ auction price starts
After a closer look, i suspect this one may have been previously mounted as a jewel.
It seems that there is some metal residue on the rim at the lower right between the date and the mintmark.
Quote: "Didi99"​After a closer look, i suspect this one may have been previously mounted as a jewel.
​It seems that there is some metal residue on the rim at the lower right between the date and the mintmark.
​How much would you say this takes off the value? I doesnt hurt the "appearance" of the coin that much
It is always hard to say. There is no simple rule as regards post mint damage..
I would downgrade the coin a little if i was interested in buying it. Let's say 10-15 less on Sheldon scale

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:28.