Trip to Egypt. Good idea to bring back home coins? [solved]

16 posts

» Quick access to the last post

In a few weeks i have (the luck to have) a little trip to Egypt and i was wondering if any user here knows if its ok to bring currency from there and coins out of circulation back home.

I tryed to google it but all i found was gold and silver trade and i dont want that kind of "stuff". What i found was some webs telling that i can have troubles in the airport if i try to bring "ancient" coins (troubles that could end in prision).

Searched the only coin shop we have listed here in Numista and seems that at least his web is out of bussines, didnt try by now to mail them but for me thats not good indicator.

Any thoughts? Any sperience?
Se queres ca muller che queira, ten diñeiro na carteira
It shouldn't be too different to the experience most other countries with laws against exporting "historically or culturally significant objects"; you probably won't get into any trouble at all if you have a few old coins in your pocket that you bought from a coin dealer on your trip.

Now if you were trying to smuggle a gilded sarcophagus or a mummy home, that might be a different story. :D
If you plan to bring back ancient coins to US you may have trouble per a 2016 agreement between Egypt and the US. https://www.coinworld.com/news/world-coins/2016/12/import-restrictions-egypt-coins.html
There could be agreements with other countries.

Will
I don’t know what the situation is now, but if you’re thinking of circulation coins, you may not get a lot of that anyway. I was in Egypt many years ago and got to see very few coins. Most of what circulated were some worn out small paper bills that were barely holding together. Nobody ever had any change, except aluminum 5 mils (or something like that anyway) in the bread shops in poor areas where bread was subsidized.

I got to buy a 1939 silver 5 qurush in the market in Cairo, but you have to negotiate back and forth (which I hate to do). The seller happened to have a bag of mixed coins.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Egypt is very strict for people bringing out historical objects out of the country.
I remember reading about 2 German guys who got imprisoned for purchasing antique Roman coins and having them in their hand luggage when trying to leave the country by plane.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Hi,

where do you go in Egypt

I recommend you to send a message to HamdiShanoun ( https://en.numista.com/echanges/profil.php?id=15359 ) he was in Cairo a few weeks ago and can tell you about the export laws

jelle
Pleae check my own coin shop:

https://www.lastdodo.nl/nl/shops/Jelle097

World wide shipping for the real shipping price!
I heard under the sharia they chop off hands from thieves. I wouldnt risk it.
Main Referee for Hutt-River
My idea its not to bring Ancient stuff like Roman, etc, its more like 200 years old or so, because its in what i have interest and the stuff that probably will not lead me to problems

The trip is done by the travel agency, so X days = X sites... but i am not able to find the "route" that we are going to do there... I just can remember that we are going to stay 3 days at El Cairo. z|

While preparing the trip, readed about a lot of things like you said: hard to see coins there (the ones to "use" every day and not the ones to "collect"), the "tourist prision thing" (but i need to say that i never reard of the "chop hands" thing), the need to negotiate everything.
The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "The hand should be cut off for stealing something that is worth a quarter of a Dinar or more."

Article 2 of Egypt's 2014 Constitution declares the principles of Islamic sharia to be the main source of legislation

source: https://sunnah.com/bukhari/86/18
Main Referee for Hutt-River
Ancient spirits of evil, transform this decayed form to MUMMMuenzenhamster-RA, THE EVER-LIVING!
Lets adopt the KISS philosophy, "Keep It Simple Sucker"
Quote: "Muenzenhamster"​The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "The hand should be cut off for stealing something that is worth a quarter of a Dinar or more."

​Article 2 of Egypt's 2014 Constitution declares the principles of Islamic sharia to be the main source of legislation

​source: https://sunnah.com/bukhari/86/18

​Oh come on Muenzenhamster, I am not planning to steal nothig!! (;0

Just buy (with ticket, bill or whatever) or get circulation coins and go with them back home.

Since i readed about thoose tourist going to jail, but i want to do al legally, i am asking here if anyone knows what that could go that far...
My advice would be to not even try to buy coins in any part of the "Third World" because they see you as a tourist and think they can sell you stuff at three or four times the usual rate...

If you want to buy coins anyway, make sure you know the market values. I suggest you take with you a table of values for Egyptian coins ─you'll probably have to make one for yourself based on Krause + NGC for example─ and compare their asking price with what's in your table. You can even use your table (e.g. uploaded to your phone) to argue that they're asking for too much.

One problem you're likely to encounter is that nobody will know the difference between different grades. They'll try to sell you battered old coins for the same prices as if they were uncirculated.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Quote: "Camerinvs"​My advice would be to not even try to buy coins in any part of the "Third World" because they see you as a tourist and think they can sell you stuff at three or four times the usual rate...

​If you want to buy coins anyway, make sure you know the market values. I suggest you take with you a table of values for Egyptian coins ─you'll probably have to make one for yourself based on Krause + NGC for example─ and compare their asking price with what's in your table. You can even use your table (e.g. uploaded to your phone) to argue that they're asking for too much.

In my personal experience it's usually useless to cite catalogues, price guides, etc at a seller unscrupulous enough to try to sell at that rate anyway- you can show them as much information as you want but if they're determined to sell their 1987 1 Pound coin for 300 euro then nothing in the world will convince them otherwise- whether this is due to ignorance or lack of scruples does not make any difference.

I did once get a discounted rate by showing Numista to a seller who thought his 1948 halfcrown was sterling silver though!
Quote: "CassTaylor"​In my personal experience it's usually useless to cite catalogues, price guides, etc at a seller unscrupulous enough to try to sell at that rate anyway- you can show them as much information as you want but if they're determined to sell their 1987 1 Pound coin for 300 euro then nothing in the world will convince them otherwise- whether this is due to ignorance or lack of scruples does not make any difference.

You're probably right, though someone who knows the psychology of bargaining would use any tool at his/her disposal. If they see you know your stuff, and you start walking away, they may call you back with a much better offer.

The best is to have a good knowledge of Egyptian (and Ottoman) coins, spot a particularly desirable coin, add two or three low-value coins, and negotiate for this entire lot without focusing on the more valuable coin...
There are plenty of Egyptian coins available at European Ebay sellers. I own 81 types, none of which I got from my two trips to Egypt.

I remember getting one worn 25 Piastres coin from the year 1992 as change. I also remember some tourist sets with circulated coins from the 70's and 80's for at least €10 which otherwise can be found at bargain bins.

Just enjoy your trip and return home safely. Set aside annoying salesmen and safety issues most people are friendly and very poor for European standards. It's a reminder we are blessed by being born in a more comfortable part of the world.
Quote: "jokinen"​There are plenty of Egyptian coins available at European Ebay sellers. I own 81 types, none of which I got from my two trips to Egypt.

​I remember getting one worn 25 Piastres coin from the year 1992 as change. I also remember some tourist sets with circulated coins from the 70's and 80's for at least €10 which otherwise can be found at bargain bins.

​Just enjoy your trip and return home safely. Set aside annoying salesmen and safety issues most people are friendly and very poor for European standards. It's a reminder we are blessed by being born in a more comfortable part of the world.
​I was going to reply something in this line. If i get some coins buying something (souvenirs, whatever) ok, if not, not the end of the wold (hobby).

Holidays are holidays, i should enjoy the trip and nothing else should disturb me while there. Sadly, +1 for your last paragraph, specially the last phrase.

Thank you all for all your coments, it was very interesting for me to see and read how this post evolved :O
Status changed to Solved (klei92, 8-Jul-2019, 00:31)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 13:55.