Best Shipping Method Out of US?

8 posts
I’ve been recently trying to fulfill a swap with a member in Canada, but shipping in a package is far too expensive for the coins we want to exchange. Is there any way to get by with just a stamped envelope?
I have done it. if it is thin enough and flexible enough to go through the automatic sorting machines it will make it. however -
The USPS rules say a "letter" may only contain paper and not any type of "merchandise", so technically it is against the rules.
The problem you will run up against is the clerk at the counter. if they detect that there is something other than paper in there, and they are under pressure to enforce the rules you may get it pushed back at you. say ok sorry. go to a different PO and try again.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
So do you think that if I just tape the coins to the inside of the envelope it will be fine? Or should I cover them in a folded paper?
Quote: "Basileia Rhomaion"​So do you think that if I just tape the coins to the inside of the envelope it will be fine? Or should I cover them in a folded paper?
​I wrap them in foil or paper, then tape it inside a thin piece of carboard, like a food box. Then I tape that to the inside of a regular envelope.
I usually go to the automated machine inside the post office, thereby avoiding the clerk. Follow the prompts. Most inter-US swaps are less than a dollar, while most of my international swaps this way are $2-$7.
If you can't use the automated machine, when you go to the clerk, tell them you are mailing hobby supplies or something similar that doesn't require a customs form, as that pushes up the price.
it needs to be as flat as possible and not have a coin shaped lump in the middle. you can cut a round hole through that piece of cereal box cardboard, fit the coin in to it. a bit if paper on each side and scotch tape to hold it in.
no corrugated, it has to flexible so it can go around a roller in the sorting machine.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Quote: "JRo69"
Quote: "Basileia Rhomaion"​So do you think that if I just tape the coins to the inside of the envelope it will be fine? Or should I cover them in a folded paper?
​​I wrap them in foil or paper, then tape it inside a thin piece of carboard, like a food box. Then I tape that to the inside of a regular envelope.
​I usually go to the automated machine inside the post office, thereby avoiding the clerk. Follow the prompts. Most inter-US swaps are less than a dollar, while most of my international swaps this way are $2-$7.
​If you can't use the automated machine, when you go to the clerk, tell them you are mailing hobby supplies or something similar that doesn't require a customs form, as that pushes up the price.
​Well any non paper goods, including hobby supplies necessitate a parcel according to the clerk.
Quote: "Basileia Rhomaion"
Quote: "JRo69"

​​​I wrap them in foil or paper, then tape it inside a thin piece of carboard, like a food box. Then I tape that to the inside of a regular envelope.
​​I usually go to the automated machine inside the post office, thereby avoiding the clerk. Follow the prompts. Most inter-US swaps are less than a dollar, while most of my international swaps this way are $2-$7.
​​If you can't use the automated machine, when you go to the clerk, tell them you are mailing hobby supplies or something similar that doesn't require a customs form, as that pushes up the price.
​​
​​Well any non paper goods, including hobby supplies necessitate a parcel according to the clerk.
​I usually lie and say photographs or birthday card, stuff like that.
I always use bubble mailer envelopes ( different size,depend of amount of coins).
No problem at all in any PO.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:30.