German "Earldoms" are Counties [solved]

8 posts

This message aims at: requesting the creation or the modification of a country in the catalogue

Upvotes: 1
Downvotes: 0

» Quick access to the last post

The English language terms "Earl" and "Earldom" are only ever used for people and titles within the British Isles (e.g., the Earl of Wessex, Earl of Carnarvon, Earl of Caithness, Earl of Meath, etc.). Whilst the title is considered equivalent to continental Counts (and female holders of earldoms are called Countesses, e.g., Countess Mountbatten of Burma) the titles Comte, Graf, Greve, etc. are never "translated" to Earl but to Count. Consequently, it is very odd to see Anhalt and many other German states referred to here as Earldoms whilst Flanders and other Low-Country states are referred to as Counties. Similarly, the title "Margrave" is used for Margraf, not the English title "Marquis", despite these titles being as "equivalent" as Count and Earl. I note that the French version of the site uses Comté throughout. A Google search for "Earldom of Anhalt" only finds results in Numista, whereas "County of Anhalt" brings up nearly 25000 hits. Finally, the OED defines Earl as a "British nobleman" and Count as a "Foreign nobleman".

Can I request that all the German states referred to as an "Earldom" are retitled as a "County"?
Former Numista referee for banknotes from Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Saint Helena.
I concur with the stated above, just one thing marquess is the British title and marquis for west- and south-european nobleman and margrave for HRE titleholders.
Thanks for picking up the mistake. I could claim it was a deliberate error but it was just poor spelling.
Former Numista referee for banknotes from Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Saint Helena.
Thanks guys, It was my mistake then.
I was not sure how to translate Grafschaft so simply tried different online dictionaries and most seemed to translate it to earldom.
From my side of course perfectly fine with to translate them to County
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Status changed to Accepted (Jarcek, 24-Aug-2019, 22:12)
Status changed to Started (Jarcek, 24-Aug-2019, 22:12)
Status changed to Accepted (Jarcek, 24-Aug-2019, 22:12)
Ok, there a few, this will take some time.
Catalogue administrator
Status changed to Started (Jarcek, 16-Sep-2019, 10:00)
Earldoms are no more. While I was at it, all German states should have this sentence on catalogue page ok now: Coins from the City/Whatever of Amberg/Or anything else. Plus some mistranslations. <:D
Catalogue administrator
Many thanks for making these changes. However, can I just ask if the "Country list" entries will update automatically to county or if these need doing by hand too?
Country list is shy and does not like to change its appearance. Usually it takes around full day of worshiping it and sacrificing goats until it makes up its mind. (8 (Server makes changes once a day)
Catalogue administrator
Status changed to Done (Jarcek, 17-Sep-2019, 00:19)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 15:23.