Question about mintages [solved]

5 posts

This message aims at: requesting the modification of a coin in the catalogue

Upvotes: 1
Downvotes: 0
I recently purchased several old specialized catalogs from the 1970s dealing with a specific category of coins. Chester Krause and Virginia Culver are the authors.

What I notice is that mintages in the old catalogs is something like 3,716, while Numista (and the current KM catalog) give the mintage as 4,000. I observe this for coin after coin after coin. It seems like the newer catalog rounds the mintages, but I (obviously) have no proof that this is the case. But it would seem odd that there was no rounding when multiple coins have very specific mintages in one reference (e.g., 3716) while another has what appear to be rounded mintages (e.g., 4000).

My questions are these:
1. Is the KM catalog known to round mintages to the nearest thousand?
2. If this is not known, in view of the specialized catalog giving such specific mintages while generalized catalogs give what appear to be rounded/estimated mintages, would it be justified to change the Numista mintages to the ones listed in the specialized catalog?

thanks!
Hello!

Yes, Krause is known for rounding and much more importantly yes, it would be justified and even encouraged to correct mistakes Krause made and we took because there was not other known option at the time.
Catalogue administrator
Status changed to Accepted (Jarcek, 14-Sep-2019, 09:11)
Status changed to Done (Jarcek, 14-Sep-2019, 09:11)
Many mints which state their production numbers also round them at least to the nearest 1000 or 10,000, but to be honest in the case where millions are produced what difference does it make.
Thanks! I’m happy to add the non-rounded mintage numbers! While I agree that rounding is immaterial when the mintages are in the billions, most of the coins I’m talking about have mintages below 100,000, with many below 10,000.

These coins are not currently in high demand (NCLT from the 70s), but I have a soft spot for them. I also like precision and having a project to do! So, the referees better get ready to approve some changes! LOL ?
I always say we should be precise on Numista, although I agree it does not matter when coins were minted in billions.

It is also nice to find an enthusiastic member willing to contribute!
Catalogue administrator

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 01:59.