I’m Puzzled ..Small countries coins.

21 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Pressed too early.

i was wondering why small countries (Iom ,Marshall Islands, Gibraltar etc) have more coins to collect than other countries 10 time their size.

I know now they pick sets at random (planes animals etc) which are both popular and expensive to collect . Many of you I know think it’s a bit of con , which I suppose it is .

But damn it I do like them ??

Views welcome .
Simply to make as much money as possible before all the islands drown (;0.
But you can see this with most mints either ordinary capitalistic greed or a stuggle to otherwise finace the mints themselfs.
I really mind the ones that are given the status of legal tender as if that makes them more legitimate although you know no one in their right mind would try to spend them. If they were just presented as artwork or fantasy coins, that would be OK. But to present them as official coins with an actual face value is just a way of selling more coins to the gullible, as they are never intended to be spent. If you like them and don't mind their cost, fine. But I think they are sinkholes that will eventually run out of enough appeal to keep being minted.

Will
As stated, just to make as much money as possible from foolish collectors of NCLT coins. It's pretty much impossible to collect all the coins from countries like Niue and Canada unless you have an almost endless pot of money. Niue put out 50 different "commemoratives" last year alone, all of them either silver or gold and will set you back at least $40 or $50 each.
What? Me Worry
Quote: "neilithicman"​As stated, just to make as much money as possible from foolish collectors of NCLT coins. It's pretty much impossible to collect all the coins from countries like Niue and Canada unless you have an almost endless pot of money. Niue put out 50 different "commemoratives" last year alone, all of them either silver or gold and will set you back at least $40 or $50 each.

Good luck collecting all the coins of any country of Canada's size, even without the NCLT's!

I've not even managed to complete a full set of the Danish West Indies yet.
Everyone seems to be wanting to make money, especially from collectors.
I had a very special offer yesterday, for silver plated coin, with original price of £49.95, reduced to £19.95.
It was, as I stated above, SILVER PLATED.
Ok, it was a crown sized coin, but I can get a pure silver coin for less than £49.95, and have bought .925 silver coins for less than £19.95.
I obviously did not buy this 'special' offer
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
One of the things I recently learned is that in many cases the small countries with lots of fancy coins aren't actually making these coins, nor are the coins even meant to circulate in those countries. Several countries sell licenses that allow private mints to use their name and images. For instance, look at the most recent coins posted on Numista for Liechtenstein (the 300 year series). These "coins" weren't actually minted by (or really even for) Liechtenstein. They were made by CIT (Coin Investment Trust) to sell to collectors and precious metal investors. In my opinion, these coins are bullion that only appear to be the official coinage of a certain country. I understand that there are more than 20 countries that, for a fee (of course), allow coins to be minted in their name. They are the countries you'd guess, and have mentioned here (though I was a little surprised to see Mongolia on the list). Businesses like NumisCollect ("experts in coin wholesale and development"), apparently help facilitate this process, connect private mints with new technologies, and market for-profit bullion-that-looks-like-collectible-coinage. One website calls these type of coins "officially licensed products." Works for me. If I see one that I like and that captures something nice about the country it's supposed to represent, I consider adding it to my collection. But I don't consider them part of a country's coinage.
I knew this thread would provoke comments... I agree with all of them. I have never thought it possible or economically viable to collect all from one of these countries.

I confine myself self to maybe collecting one set of something (4/6) pieces. I’m sure the Royal Mint is guilty of producing for some of these countries, as a contributor commented on the role of mints.

Perhaps , the Queen should refuse to alllow her portrait to be used.
So many points that bring further thoughts in this thread.

Royal Canadian Mint: I apologize to the world for the profusion of pseudo-coins deluxe from our mint. Only a multi-millionaire can complete a set of Canadian NCLT. Not only do we have the second largest gold "coin" ever, we also have other NCLT issues with mintages well below 100. To see for yourself, go to Canada in the catalogue and start from the last page (of 95).

The Mint had, for some time, a program of $20/$20 coins, i.e. $20 denomination coins for the price of $20. It is legal for the banks to refuse them, and they do so because those coins are a hassle.

As for the Queen, I'm not sure what she thinks of being forever associated on our NCLTs with Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck. *Insert facepalm here*

As for small countries which flood the market with their NCLTs, it's obvious that none of what is struck for Pitcairn is being sent in any quantity there, where the population is about 50... Actually, for every two Pitcairn residents there are currently about three coin types.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
The small nations make more collectable currencies because it helps them boost their economy. The collectables that these nations launch are rare as they are printed in a smaller quantity and are rated for higher denominations.
What I found disgusting is that my country, or rather our own mint, is selling national! coin with national animal! and of course, does not let you see the reverse on their website, where Queen portrait resides with big ugly Niue alongside it....

No thanks, I am not ever buying that...
Catalogue administrator
I was left red faced on a similar post on this forum.???

I was sounding off about countries producing coins with subjects which had nothing to do with that country. As an example I moaned about Isle if Man producing coins with the Bee Gees on.

imagine my embarrassment when a little further research revealed they were born on the Isle of Man ??

oh well ‘Pride comes before a fall’
Well, I was more guilty of making a bold claim than you were on that thread, but I still believe that those Bee Geez coins are first and foremost a money grab like the entire Isle of Man NCLT production.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Even larger countries have jumped into this band wagon. Look at the number of coins issued by Ukraine and the other ex Russian states since independence.
Whereas some countries survive with visitors spending their hard earned cash, a lot of smaller countries do not benefit from such mass influx of tourists, so they have to survive in different ways, so, coins and stamps are a good earner.
My motto is:- if you do not like them then just don't but them, but like a lot of us, we love these NCLT coins, and I have hundreds of them, and would like hundreds more, but there are very few for sale, so collectors out there somewhere are holding on to them, just like me.
I live near the Roman city of Bath in South West England, and when I visit then city, which is often, it has been flooded with tourists, all wanting to visit the Roman Baths, The Royal Crescent ect.
This brings in the money for us, but the little guy has to depend on its own initiatives.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Hi Camerinvs,

Been having a laugh over our previous thread.

I will be in touch re some Canadian coins
It's just how business works - nothing noble. Collect what you want and leave the rest to shop.
Okay ..I get small countries boost their economies (or some others) by issuing these coins .

i just seen some nice aeroplane coins (which I like annoyingly) from a Pacific island called Agrihan which is uninhabited ???.

so it must be the seagulls that are rolling in the profits ..

Unbelievable
They are listed in the catalogue, and fortunately they are categorized as fantasy issues.
Quote: "COINMAN1"​Everyone seems to be wanting to make money, especially from collectors.
​I had a very special offer yesterday, for silver plated coin, with original price of £49.95, reduced to £19.95.
​It was, as I stated above, SILVER PLATED.
​Ok, it was a crown sized coin, but I can get a pure silver coin for less than £49.95, and have bought .925 silver coins for less than £19.95.
​I obviously did not buy this 'special' offer
I completely agree with you. Personally for me, modern silver PLATED coins are just useless souvenirs like magnet on the fridge -). But yeah, some of them are nice ones!
Best regards,
afpcoins
The point of most of those pseudo-coin issues is not to primarily appeal to coin collectors but to people who collect other kinds of memorabilia or just have other interests. Santa Claus coins are meant to reach the market of Christmas memorabilia collectors. Bee Gees coins are meant to appeal to Bee Geez fans who collect BGz vinyl records, posters, etc. Cannabis coins are meant to appeal to two whole generations of people who may think it's cool to own (or give as gift) coins that show an illegal substance on them (or illegal until recently in the case of some countries). Likewise, Bugs Bunny and Tasmanian Devil pseudo-coins are meant to appeal to the Baby Boomer generation who watched those on Saturday morning while the parents could finally get some extra sleep.

So, it's all about expanding the market. It's all about money and revenues. It's all about the bottom line. It's all about profit. I am saddened that many coin clubs report this trash deluxe in their newsletters.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 15:59.