Add metal Fineness for Billon

8 posts

This message aims at: suggesting an idea to improve Numista

Upvotes: 5
Downvotes: 0
Hello,

on some Billon coins (Silver coins with metal purity under .300) we have the information of what the silver content is.

In Technical data, would it be possible to add the Fineness of silver content exactly the same as metal silver?

Bullion value: of the silver content could then also be added and be included in the My coins section.

Thank you,

Paul
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Hello,

When I know, then I write Silver and fineness. Obviously, when it is below 350 or so, it is billon.
Billon remains when I don't know or when it is known to be variable.
Is that ok for you ?
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
Thats possible of course but I know coins with marking in catalogues Billon with .045 silver content, should we really add these as silver.
they could be treated the same as silver but with the already existing name Billon
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
If the purity is low but known, I would prefer to see the coin listed as silver. It gives a specific composition, rather than a generic one like billon.

With that being said, one slight problem I see is that you cannot really have a purity for billon in the way you described (i.e., it should not be exactly like silver). A coin that is .045 silver is billon, but a coin that is .045 billon is... well, only 4.5 percent billon. And I do not think that is what you want to communicate.

So, if this were to be implemented, I think it should specify that the given purity is, in fact, for the silver content. For example: Billon (.045 silver).
Hello,

In case of low silver content, I recommend choosing "billon". The purity can be added as additional comment.
Example: "Billon (Ag .050)" https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces173678.html

This is similar to other ways to inform about the composition of an alloy.
Example: "Bronze (Cu 96%, Sn 4%)" https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2275.html
Hello,

Could we set a fix limit for what we call billon ?
250, 350 ?
There are a few propositions here https://en.numista.com/forum/topic50933.html
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Billon is any silver alloy with a majority base metal content.
I think the only reason we have so many very low silver content coins labled as silver is that people want to know ther cents worth of silver that would be never ever be processed by a smellter unless they have hundreds or thousands of them.
As an example: Leopold I coins for Austria, Münzordnung Wien 2 Mai 1680:
Taler > 1/4 Taler are .875
15 Kreuzer .563
6 Kreuzer .438
3 Kreuzer .414
Kreuzer .250
2 pf. = Zweier .188
1 pf. .125

So where should I set the limit ?
Everywhere, not only Numista, people say Groschen / 3 Kreuzer, are silver coins.
A limit around 1/3 could be acceptable ?
Status changed to Rejected (Xavier, 4-Jan-2020, 11:34)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 19:42.