Napoleon coins still circulating in the XXth centruy?

5 posts • viewed 169 times
Dear numista members,

few days ago I began to have a look at coins which were dismissed in France during the XXth century and I discovered that, based on the withdrawal date it seems that 5 francs empire (all the types) along with bronze and silver coins of his nephew Napoleon III were still in circulation. I was wondering how is it possible considering that in the meantime government shape changed in France from Empire to Republic (and also considering the hard defeat at Sedan) that coins with Napoleon I and Napoleon III were still in circulation during the beginning of the XXth century.

Thanks to whoever is going to reply,

Pannonicus
Pannonicus
Great question. I find it unsurprising. Coins were needed for commerce through out the entire period. the Franc was the standard coinage of all western and southern europe through the LMU agreements until 1918. 25grams of silver doesnt go out of use because of the worn face on it. no one ever reads the coin, they can tell by looking it is 25 grams of silver, and they stack them with the others.

Revolutionary governments immediately take on the need to operate the state apparatus, and soon realize there is no silver in the state treasury. The population is demanding more coinage! Withdrawing hard currency because of the ugly mug on one side would be impossible for fiscal reasons alone, regardless of ideological fervor. let us say also, that a modern revolution is merely a change of government, the people who were loyal followers of the Ancien Régime remain very much in their seats in parliament, their estates, their houses in the village, and so on, so the fervor while bright at times, never enveloped even majorities of populations, and out of power parties, simply become counter revolutionary, and the police watch them. The French often slay mountains (and sometimes fill pits) of the opposition during these revolutions, but partisan bloodletting never abolished a political party, or reduced the love for Napoleon in some quarters, and for the Bourbon monarchy in others... and edit to ad: never 'de-monatized' a good silver coin.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Pretty sure they dis not circulate so long.
In French you called a Napoleon coin a 20 Francs Gold piece, this name was kept even if there where other effigies on the coin.
This 20 Francs coin existed until 1914 so what you saw somewhere was probably just a misinterpretation of this translation.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
I found in Le Franc the info that the coinage of Napoleon under the first consulate was a legal tender until 1834.
The coins under the French Empire longer it seems, I will see if I find the information.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Quote: "apuking"​I found in Le Franc the info that the coinage of Napoleon under the first consulate was a legal tender until 1834.
​The coins under the French Empire longer it seems, I will see if I find the information.
​From the info I was able to recover from a reliable webpage all the 5 fr empire were withdrawn only by the law of June 1928, all the other values were withdrawn far before end of the XXth century:

"Pour toutes les pièces de 5fr de l'Empire, le retrait se fait tardivement, le 25 juin 1928. Les autres valeurs seront retirées :
- suite à la loi du 25 mai 1864 pour le DEMI,
- par le décret du 17 juin 1868 pour les 1fr et 2fr,
- par le décret du 30 avril 1852 pour les QUART qui ont été peu frappés."
Pannonicus

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 19:41.