Iranian currencies [solved]

11 posts • viewed 184 times

This message aims at: requesting the creation or the modification of a currency or denomination in the catalogue

Upvotes: 2
Downvotes: 0

» Quick access to the last post

At present, the Iranian section is divided by dynasty rather than currency. Consequently, we have coins listed under the Pahlavi dynasty denominated in both qiran and rial with the subdividing dinar mixed up. Similarly, the Qajar dynasty mixes up the qiran and the earlier rial. Can I suggest that we create currencies titled "Toman", "First Rial (1798-1825)", "Qiran (1825-1932)" and "Second Rial (1932-)"? There may be earlier currencies it would also make sense to add that I'm unfamiliar with being largely a collector of 19th and 20th century coins. Once this is done, we can separate out the distinct dinar which are currently mixed up. This really matters since, when the rial replaced the qiran at parity, the dinar went from being a thousandth of a qiran to a hundredth of a dinar. We can also create ruling authorities for the various shahs to preserve the dynastic information. These would be
Fath’ali 1797-1834
Muhammad 1834-1848
Nasir al-Din 1848-1896
Muzaffar al-Din 1896-1907
Muhammad Ali 1907-1909
Ahmad 1909-1925
Reza 1925-1941
Muhammad Reza 1941-1979
Islamic Republic 1979-
I'd contact the referees for Iran directly but none are listed.
Former Numista referee for banknotes from Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Saint Helena.
Hello,

this will require a lot of work.

For a start, I just created these 4 currencies you mentioned, so coins can be now requested to move to their right place. Rulers and dynasties will follow afterwards.
Catalogue administrator
Status changed to Started (Jarcek, 7-Dec-2019, 12:09)
Yes, I agree, this is a big job. I'll get started on requesting the moves in the next few days. Many thanks.
Former Numista referee for banknotes from Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Saint Helena.
Would it be possible to transfer all the coins listed under the Islamic Republic to the second rial as a "job lot"? The other dynasties need sorting but these coins could be moved together.
Perhaps we could rename Islamic Republic to Second Rial, move everything post 1932 from the Pahlavis into that currency, then rename what's left in the Pahlavis as the Qiran and so on?
Hello,

I used second alternative and renamed Islamic Republic to Second Rial. If you want to clear Pahlavis, I can then rename that currency as well.
Catalogue administrator
As the Pahlavi issues are split between the two currencies, unless there's a way to reassign them based on the dates, it's probably best to do it by hand.
Thanks,
Colan
I've now requested moves for all the base and silver coins in the Pahlavi dynasty to their respective currencies. However, I'm wondering if the best thing for the Pahlavi gold issues is to leave them in a separate section called "Pahlavi gold bullion coins" or similar. I suggest this for a number of reasons. First, as far as I can tell, they never circulated and were only issued in small numbers. Second, their relationship to the rial changed (according to KM) in 1932 from 20 rial to 100 rial to the Pahlavi, before being decoupled altogether in 1937. Third, the gold content of the later issues was much higher than the early pieces, making any valuation against the rial hard to define. Fourth, we already have a separate section for the gold coins issued by the Islamic Republic (although I wonder if the name for that could be improved).
In contrast, I would propose putting the toman gold coins in with the qiran or 1st rial at a value of 10 qiran or 8 rial, unless there is any objection. On this matter, comments on what form of the name to use would be welcome. We currently have toman, tuman and tumân. For what it's worth, Wikipedia gives a romanized tomān.
Further to our sorting out of the Iranian currencies, we now need to deal with those before 1798. I think the best solution would be to list all these under the currency "Shahi (1501-1798)". This is broadly what KM does and many of the coins are already valued in shahi, thus reducing the workload. If possible, can the Safavid, Hotak, Afsharid and Zand dynasties, together with the remnants of the Qajar dynasty, be put into "Shahi (1501-1798)"? If not, could the largest of these (I think it's the Safavid) be renamed and I'll move the others.
Once this is done, we can order the currencies by date and rename the Pahlavi gold coins. That should be it then.
Thanks.
I took your advice and just renamed Safavid to Shahi. I think this would be best solution. <:D
Catalogue administrator
The shahi section is now complete. All that remains is to rename the Pahlavi dynasty to "Pahlavi Gold Coins" (since that's all that's there now) and I think we're sorted.
Thanks
This is now done! <:D

Many thanks, this change relied heavily on your work!
Catalogue administrator
Status changed to Done (Jarcek, 8-Jan-2020, 08:02)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 09:50.