2 forint coin clarification

8 posts • viewed 117 times
Hello everyone!

On the Hungary coin list i couldn't find a coin to look like the first one, at the first look, the shiny coin doesn't look to be copper/brass/nickel plated as the second one. Can anybody to help me clarify the situation? Are they the same coin with different lever of wear or they are different coins?
There is the possibility that the first coin may be a trial strike .. Mints usually use a softer material so the dies are not damaged ..
? Format  Format  Format ?   ?
Do not argue with ignorant people .. !! They will drag you down to their level, then pulverize you with experience ...
So is it worth to keep them both as 2 forint 1970 in my collection?
Hello!
If it is a trial strike they used to put the PRÓBAVERET word on the coins. Also from this coin exist a rare aluminium variations, but with the later dates. Can you weight the coins?
Quote: "krezga"​Hello!
​If it is a trial strike they used to put the PRÓBAVERET word on the coins. Also from this coin exist a rare aluminium variations, but with the later dates. Can you weight the coins?
​I did weigh both of my 1970 coins on the scale that i have. Well, the darker one shows 4.2-4.3 g while the shiny one shows 4.5 g. I see that the real weight 9f the coin is 4.44g but considering that used the same scale for both coins, the shiny one seems to be 0.3-0.2 g heavier.
Maybe plated? Or someone changed the color with some chemical reaction?
Quote: "krezga"​Maybe plated? Or someone changed the color with some chemical reaction?
​I can't find my caliper right now but with the naked eye the shiny one seems to be a little thicker
Quote: "Ionut9696"
Quote: "krezga"​Hello!
​​If it is a trial strike they used to put the PRÓBAVERET word on the coins. Also from this coin exist a rare aluminium variations, but with the later dates. Can you weight the coins?
​​
​​I did weigh both of my 1970 coins on the scale that i have. Well, the darker one shows 4.2-4.3 g while the shiny one shows 4.5 g. I see that the real weight 9f the coin is 4.44g but considering that used the same scale for both coins, the shiny one seems to be 0.3-0.2 g heavier.
​your coin is simply a plated coin ,the reason for plating can't be specified ,may be some was doing experiment on it ,or someone plated to sell it as a special coin etc etc .....
coin collector.....

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 13:51.