Liechtenstein Ducat 1728!? [solved]

3 posts • viewed 62 times

This message aims at: requesting the modification of a coin in the catalogue

Upvotes: 0
Downvotes: 0
Hello guys and Merry Christmas!

I have a Christmas riddle for you. I got these photos from a guy, saying that he owns it for 50 years or so (he is reputable) and got it from a collection of man who died sometime around 1917. I would tend to believe that this is actual coin, and the Munich restrike was modelled after some other design. Or maybe this is a trial strike? What say you? Note the absence of hair at the bottom of the oberse and different lettering placement on reverse in comparison to Munich restrikes.

Links:
Catalogue administrator
Merry Christmas!

Hm, very hard to say what this is.

In my opinion coin on your photos has slightly different font in lettering too.
On the coin is Josef Johann Adam and his bust in such shape is only present on 1 ducat coin. On other three his coins the bust is much larger - down to his chest. Absence of hair, interesting details to consider. I also did not came across any patterns or trial strikes during his reign.

It is also somehow interesting that the angle of the chin is much more similar to the angle on 10 ducat coin and not on this on 1 ducat coin (left coin on the photo with much bigger "chin-angle".

Numista referee for Liechtenstein, Ragusa and Saint Barthelemy
That chin makes me want to believe it is genuine. I am still not sure why Munich mint made restrikes with different portrait than the others, if they had genuine examples pictured somewhere.

Too many questions here. I forgot to mention, we are free to use these photos, so you can add them, probably into comments section of that coin.
Catalogue administrator
Status changed to Accepted (Sulfur, 3-Feb-2020, 19:05)
Status changed to Done (Jarcek, 24-Aug-2020, 19:03)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 21:29.