Coin star hit or miss ?

45 posts • viewed 1142 times

» Quick access to the last post

It the coin star a good place to find foreigne coins or not ?

recent coin star finds also how often do u guys find silver. I found my first silver 10 cents in a coin star 1966
A few years ago, I had a lot of good luck at CoinStars, and it is the only place I've found wild silver. Lately, my luck has dried up.
CoinStar is hit or miss for me. I've made many trips to the machines in the grocery stores only to find nothing. But I have found many coins over the years. (A doff of the cap to Cerulean for tipping me off to this technique.)
Mainly I find US dimes. For some reason, the machine rejects newer dimes. But I have found 5 silver dimes (1961-63) as well as other coins, both foreign and domestic at the 4 machines I frequent. My best haul was 3 Sacagewea dollar coins left in the reject bin.
Just keep going and keep checking. You never know what's going to be in there.
For 3 years now I have bin getting a lot of luck but there are times there is nothing and there are times there is nothing.
A hit or miss for me. Sometimes I find some random things only interesting to coin geeks like us but it seems less and less these days because many people seem to be checking the reject bins as it almost always is empty.
For me people often come to the machine mostly around holidays and after the summer once coming from vacations and in those times I find euros and a lot of foreign stuff
Do you just take the coins from the reject tray ? They have these machines in the UK, but pretty sure they'd do you for theft if you took them here.
Quote: "trickyd"​Do you just take the coins from the reject tray ? They have these machines in the UK, but pretty sure they'd do you for theft if you took them here.
​Yes, I do. I try not to be super obvious about it though. In my opinion, it's the same as a coin on the floor. If the previous owner is not there, it's free game.
Quote: "trickyd"​Do you just take the coins from the reject tray ? They have these machines in the UK, but pretty sure they'd do you for theft if you took them here.
​Not a problem. The only place where I have been challenged from taking coins from the reject tray is on the city bus. I think the drivers consider abandoned change to be part of their tip jar.
​Yes every supermarket I visit, I always have a look. When I do find anything, it is often Euro schrapnel, US cents or bent UK coins (you can always spend them again). But I have had a few more interesting finds. If someone has left it, it is fair game in my opinion.
Quote: "Harris79"
​​Yes every supermarket I visit, I always have a look. When I do find anything, it is often Euro schrapnel, US cents or bent UK coins (you can always spend them again). But I have had a few more interesting finds. If someone has left it, it is fair game in my opinion.
​Thinking about it, if the coins have been "rejected" it must be that they are not wanted, so I suppose fair game, I mean, who would want all those grubby pre 1947 coins , when you can have nice shiny decimal coin.
After years of no finds in the coin star I found this. Not really worth all the effort I put into it, but I can’t resist the reject tray...
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
hit and miss i know some people make good finds.
I have had more luck from the coin spinner at my bank. Once I found a 1909 wheat cent.
Master Coin Referee
Coin referee for CRI, GTM, HND, NIC, PAN, and SLV.

Revisor principal de monedas
Revisor de Numista para monedas de CRI, GTM, HND, NIC, PAN y SLV.

Slava Ukraini 🇺🇦 and Free Palestine 🇵🇸!
I hit the jackpot the other day. Got $4 Canadian, silver dime and 1991 quarter included.
Over 4 Euros and over 4 pounds UK. I couldn't believe my luck. Must have been a real newbie running the machine. The reject tray was full I just scooped it out into my grocery bag as fast as I could. Most of the time there may be a coin or two but this was so full some coins were still keeping the chute open.
Yesterday while leaving the grocery store I quickly swiped my hand thru the reject tray . Out in car i spied my haul a beat up 1964 washington quarter. Over the years i have scored 3 silver dimes and handful of foreign coins ,now i can add the silver quarter
Topic moved to "Free discussion" (ZacUK, 20-Mar-2021, 12:10)

It’s been a long time since I found anything in a coin star  and this is nothing of interest but here’s todays haul…

Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

I had a swipe of the reject tray yesterday, found about 40p in 2p's and 5p's and these -

The 5 fils is something I haven't had before.

My best hall was $17 of circulation coins. All loonies and toonies, most of which were shiny colourised ones. 

That was probly the best luck Ive had. I also look at vending machines trays and have gotten loonies and toonies on many occasions.  

Some people find silver, this is what I found…

Just some low denominated polish coinage and about 20 Euro Cents in 2s and 5s. 

Hi to whoever is reading this. Did you know that TYPEWRITER (on a QWERTY keyboard) is the longest word you can type using only the letters on one row of the keyboard.

*update 

Two new finds, once I found $80 in change, and once I found 2, 80% silver quarters (1962) and a 1967  50% silver dime. 
Your halls all look awesome!

coins and crafts

*update 

Two new finds, once I found $80 in change, and once I found 2, 80% silver quarters (1962) and a 1967  50% silver dime. 
Your halls all look awesome!

You found $80 in one coin machine? Ours wouldn’t hold that much in the reject tray.

This week I went back to the same store, the machine was empty but I took a pencil in with me and humbled my pride. I got on my hands and knees looking like a beggar and found $2.25 under the machine. I wouldn’t do this for pocket change…

but look! I found what I was looking for. A 1959 silver dime! Woohoo!

I am now thinking of making a tool to pry off the sticky coins that are under the machine and reach coins that are further under. 

The things we as numismatists do for free coins. 

BUt, at least in Italy, it seems hat you may only insert coins and get vouchers. I don't see any way to get coins from their machines

CirculableCoins

GiannaReggio

BUt, at least in Italy, it seems hat you may only insert coins and get vouchers. I don't see any way to get coins from their machines

There is not a reject trey for non-coin items? 

coins and crafts

The things we as numismatists do for free coins. 

Seriously… 

Coin star again! 
I’m not particularly proud of this silver quarter, but it was free…

!

I could not run out of the store quicker. Twice …

A few weeks ago I had pocketfuls of foreign coins - yet to be checked … 

Walking past the Coin Star there were a few coins on the floor, and after I picked those 

up I looked in the reject tray and it was overflowing with coins, hence those on the floor. 

I grabbed all of them in several handfuls and was quickly out of there. 🏃 

A few days ago I went past the same machine and instead of the usual foreign coins, 

there were all these UK coins … 

I guess that as the machine makes a lot of noise while it is counting, 

the customer did not hear all those being rejected. 

Still wondering though why they were rejected - all are current coins. ✔️ 

A list of each lot to follow. 

All the 26 UK coins total £15.95 and are made up of … 

· Standard = £12.95 

5 Pence = 1 

20 Pence = 2 

50 Pence = 17

1 Pound = 2 

2 Pounds = 1 

· Other = £3.00 

50 Pence = 1 [2005/1755 Dictionary] 

50 Pence = 1 [2016 Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle] 

2 Pounds = 1 [forgery - picture to follow] 

ZacUK

All the 26 UK coins total £15.95 and are made up of … 

· Standard = £12.95 

5 Pence = 1 

20 Pence = 2 

50 Pence = 17

1 Pound = 2 

2 Pounds = 1 

· Other = £3.00 

50 Pence = 1 [2005/1755 Dictionary] 

50 Pence = 1 [2016 Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle] 

2 Pounds = 1 [forgery - picture to follow] 

Do the Coinstars still accept the old round pounds?

Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.

Not sure. I have one here somewhere and will try it. 

Amazing find btw. Great spending change for your next trip. If you happen to have a large 50p let me know if the machine takes them too.

Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

I found a half cent in the coin Star machine once

After months of nothing, had two good finds in a row - $1.35 U.S., and a Dominican Republic 10 pesos. Then, U.S. Quarter, Canadian Quarter and a 1942 Mercury Dime. 

It was 1793 half cent. Guess someone tryed to cash in grandpas collection 

Zac, I love the patina on that one pound coin under that 20 Euro cent. 

Crazy that you got so many! 

Yes, thanks! Here is the forgery 2 Pounds I mentioned … 

N#1324 

It is the correct design for the year, but … 

Crazy alignment of about 110 degrees 

Edge lettering nearly normal but poor reeding 

Obverse lettering too chunky 

Portrait re-drawn 

I live in New Zealand, what in God's name is a coinstar?

I love coins

Moneytane

It is a machine where people can turn in unwanted coins for cash. 

JRo69

Moneytane

It is a machine where people can turn in unwanted coins for cash. 

Additionally it has a tray of coins that were not accepted, usually coins of similar size to circulating coins or, especially in the US and Canada, silver coins.

Kenny

A month later eventually got round to making a list, for my records … 

Euro [8 coins] 

Germany - 1 Euro 2002F 

Italy - 1 Euro 2002  

Portugal - 1 Euro 2002  

Spain - 2 Euro 2004 - 1 Euro 1999, 2000, 2008, 2009 

Euro [29 coins] 

Austria - 50 Cent 2002 - 20 Cent 2003 

France - 50 Cent 2001 - 20 Cent 1999 (2), 2001 

Germany - 50 Cent 2002J - 20 Cent 2002F, 2002G, 2005F 

Greece - 20 Cent 2010 

Italy - 50 Cent 2002 - 20 Cent 2002 (3) 

Netherlands - 50 Cent 1999 - 20 Cent 2000 

Portugal - 20 Cent 2009, 2011, 2015, 2016 

Spain - 50 Cent 2000 - 20 Cent 1999 (3), 2001, 2006, 2018 (2) 

Euro [22 coins] 

France - 5 Cent 2012 - 2 Cent 2009 - 1 Cent 2008 

Germany - 2 Cent 2002A, 2002J - 1 Cent 2017A  

Greece - 2 Cent 2012 

Ireland - 1 Cent 2006, 2007 (2) 

Latvia - 2 Cent 2014 - 1 Cent 2014 

Spain - 2 Cent 2001, 2004, 2016 - 1 Cent 2007 (2), 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2020 

Other [20 coins] 

Bangladesh 2 Taka - 2008 (United Nations Literacy Decade) 

Bulgaria 1 Stotinka - 2000 

Czech Republic 1 Koruna - 2018 

Dominican Republic 1 Peso - 1991 

East Caribbean States 10 Cents - 2009 

India 1 Rupee - 1990 

New Zealand 2 Dollars - 1990 

Switzerland 1 Franc - 2009, 2011 

UK 1 Pound - 2015 [Obsolete] 

UK 10 Pence - 2014 

UK 1 Penny - 2010 

UK Play Money - 10 Pence 1992 [COPY stamped] 

UK Play Money - 5 Pence 1997 [COPY stamped] 

UK Play Money - 1 New Penny [plastic] 

USA 1 Cent - 1964, 1973, 1979, 1995, 2006 

Lastly, 

1 Shopping trolley token with two person logo 

1 Yale padlock key #021  

Total - 79 coins, 1 trolley token, 1 key. All in the Reject tray :) 

redsmithstudios

Coin star again! 
I’m not particularly proud of this silver quarter, but it was free…

!

Ouch… poor quarter. But hey, Silver is silver, I suppose 

Another success today, and did not even have to look in the reject tray, 

as someone already had been in there and left these on the top. Total of 18 coins 

[Will make a list later] 

That was late in the afternoon, and as soon as I got back here I went into the back garden 

to make those quick pictures before the light faded. A neighbour has a kitten, and it was roaming 

around and when it heard my back door open it came running to see if there was any food … 

Say hello to Guya :) 

ZacUK

Another success today, and did not even have to look in the reject tray, 

as someone already had been in there and left these on the top. Total of 18 coins 

[Will make a list later] 

That was late in the afternoon, and as soon as I got back here I went into the back garden 

to make those quick pictures before the light faded. A neighbour has a kitten, and it was roaming 

around and when it heard my back door open it came running to see if there was any food … 

Say hello to Guya :) 

Nice, looks like a world traveler let the excess of his/her journeys.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:15.