Uniface coins

13 posts • viewed 314 times

This message aims at: suggesting an idea to improve Numista

[Catalogue] Add "Uniface"a as a possible value for alignment
Upvotes: 25
Downvotes: 0

» Quick access to the last post

Hi!

I'd like to propose the use of the Alignment section to record coins that are uniface, like this one.

Technically, for uniface coins, the current alignment options don't quite apply.

Then there are the bracteate uniface coins. They have the incuse impression of the other side. So the alignment is always medal, but it's just a result of the minting process.

I propose we mark uniface coins as Uniface in the alignment and then we write either Blanc or Incuse and mirrored obverse in the description of the missing side

Best
strato
I support this. :)
Good idea
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
See also:
Quote: "Dejan"​Suggesting a couple of new exonumia pieces I detected something missing in orientation field: "neutral".
​There are coins with blank or geometrically (centrally) symmetric reverse that cannot fit into "coin", "medal" or "unknown" category.
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic115043.html
Quote: "Xavier"​See also:

Quote: "Dejan"​Suggesting a couple of new exonumia pieces I detected something missing in orientation field: "neutral".
​​There are coins with blank or geometrically (centrally) symmetric reverse that cannot fit into "coin", "medal" or "unknown" category.
​​https://en.numista.com/forum/topic115043.html
​This still leaves double-faced, centrally symmetrical, coins (tokens) unclassified.
In past weks I had have added some very thin german notgeld token (listed in Menzel catalogue) which minted one sided on very thin blanchets. Therefore you can see the coin from other side mirrored. I put them all into numista with medal alignment, but I think "single sided" will be more equal to fact.
I agree with adding more possibilities.
www.fiat-panis.de
www.fao-coins.info
Perhaps adding an orientation search filter to the coin/exonumia search function would make all these new ones more valuable to have?
Quote: "rsirian1"​Perhaps adding an orientation search filter to the coin/exonumia search function would make all these new ones more valuable to have?
​Absolutely, for the moment it's just a field to fill in (or not) when creating a coin. I vote for this last suggestion.

On the other hand don't make it to complicated to fill in the field and to understand what you thought about when chosing your naming convention. Keep it simple and stupid (KISS).
Globetrotter
Coin varieties in French:
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com

I'm in favor of it!

Always look on the bright side of life!

A coin or an exonumia has three sides: the obverse, the reverse and the edge

I think the term uniface should be avoided

BOINC

CREPOSUC

A coin or an exonumia has three sides: the obverse, the reverse and the edge

I think the term uniface should be avoided

It is the classical term I believe in numismatics.
Also, this setting is only used to define coin orientation, so not much to do with edge I think :-)

Catalogue administrator

stratocasterI propose we mark uniface coins as Uniface in the alignment and then we write either Blanc or Incuse and mirrored obverse in the description of the missing side

I agree a new orientation option is a good way to go!
I would prefer automatic text for Blank or “Incuse deisgn of the obverse”, to avoid manually copy pasting a lot and risks of manual errors

Catalogue administrator

Precision on my post
geometrically a coin is a cylinder with three visible 'faces'
a good number of coins do not have an image of the reverse under the pretext that they are unifaced

BOINC

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 02:53.