Happy National Day!!

10 posts • viewed 195 times

» Quick access to the last post

I just wanted to wish all Sámis out there a happy and blessed National Day!
It's important to show our support for the indigenous and unrecognised minority groups all over our globe. I wish you all a bright and happy future! :wiz:

Please keep this thread going by posting National day wishes on the national day's of the indigenous and unrecognised minority groups in your country. Please don't make it political, it's all about being a decent human being. Also, feel free to add coins/banknotes commemorating/picturing the people of the day.

Thanks!
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
I am embarrassed to say that I had no knowledge of the Sami people. I had to look them up. So now I know something about them.

Happy National Day all the same.
Quote: "ellemerob"​I am embarrassed that I had no knowledge of the Sami people. I had to look them up. So now I know something about them.

​Happy National Day all the same.
​No worries! We're all here to learn. :)

Speaking of learning: "same" is the Swedish word for the Sámi, so your last line was almost a little witty. ;)
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Quote: "ngdawa"
Quote: "ellemerob"​I am embarrassed that I had no knowledge of the Sami people. I had to look them up. So now I know something about them.
​​
​​Happy National Day all the same.
​​No worries! We're all here to learn. :)

​Speaking of learning: "same" is the Swedish word for the Sámi, so your last line was almost a little witty. ;)
​Yeah I knew that.:°
Happy National Day to Sami people. I fell in love with Joik long time ago.<:D
Catalogue administrator
Now I wonder if Sami and Suomi are correlated :)
ROMAE AETERNAE
I never knew they had a national day :.

Now I do :D
Here's some music for your enjoyment, you're welcome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_mrNy_x0vk
--------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=oUhQx3Hx7Nk&feature=emb_title
--------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO_VEv1wFio
Quote: "druzhynets"​Now I wonder if Sami and Suomi are correlated :)
​The languages are distantly related but these names are not :)
I was wrong, the words are possibly related and also linked to the Latvian word Zeme and Russian Zemlya, which both mean land. In Finnish 'suo' means swamp, that's why I thought it was different.
Great timing!

February 6th was Waitangi Day - the National day of New Zealand as our nation was established 180 years ago when a treaty was signed between the English and the Maori (Indigenous New Zealanders of which I am one).

The English version said "We will take your land and make you 2nd class citizens of Queen Victoria"

The Maori version said "We will protect you and you can keep all your land and rights and live like kings"

Guess which one stuck?
I love coins

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 06:58.