Values from Numismatic Auction Houses [solved]

7 posts • viewed 200 times

This message aims at: suggesting an idea to improve Numista

[Catalogue]
Upvotes: 6
Downvotes: 0

» Quick access to the last post

Hello,

Below a proposal to improve Numista which was already discussed in the past but without exact idea to implement.

currently we have the possibility to link values from own collections or also from Ebay.
I would like to add the possibility to link auction result sales from professional auction house.

A Dropdown list of auction houses would have to be created. (Users, Referees etc. should be able to add Auction Houses to the list. Only auction houses with sale numbers added to their sales can be added).
Users who want to add a value from an auction house's sale select an auction house from the dropdown list.

In a field called "Auction sales number" (If someone wants to select for example Nomos auction sale number 16, simply 16 has to be added in the field).

A second field where users can include written information should be called "Lot number" (Example write 76 when selecting this piece here: )
https://www.sixbid.com/de/nomos-ag/4746/greek-coins/3905367/macedon-roman-protectorate-republican?term&orderCol=lot_number&orderDirection=asc&priceFrom&displayMode=large&auctionSessions=4846%7C140032&sidebarIsSticky=false

There would be a need for a feature that adding the same value twice should be made not possible if the added infomation of (Auction house / Sales number / Lot number) is the same.

Values should unlike the values added by numista members or via ebay link should be displayed directly. (Too many rare coins where there will not be 3 examples per grade).
Values added should be from the auctions sale price, not taking into account the additional auction house's fees.

Grade can be taken from the auction link or if not mentioned in the auctions description can be decided by numista users.

What do you guys think about this?
To my feeling this would really complete our values displayed on the Numista site. I also believe that this is something that our system should be able to implement here on Numista without too many difficulties (Altough I have to say, I do not know anything about programming).

Cheers,

Paul
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Hi Paul,

I totally support this idea!

It has been discussed here as well, as part of the idea of having multiple entries for the same coin.

I always add this info whenever possible (example, example). I think it should be extended to include:
- varieties (with/out catalog numbers)
- weight, dimension, alignment (mostly for ancient and medieval coins)
- provenance (auctions, hoards, exhibitions, publications, collections etc)

Multiple auctions should be possible for the same coin.

The structural challenge is that different varieties of a coin can have very different values. So hierarchically, we should be able to list:

- Variety #1:
... Obverse: variations in design, lettering etc
... Reverse: "
... Edge: "
... Catalog#: for this specific variety.
----- Variety #1, Example #1:
......... Images: with credits
......... Weight:
......... Size:
......... Alignment:
......... Thickness (?): this info is rarely available
------------ Variety #1, Example #1, Provenance #1:
.................. Type: Exhibition / Auction / Collection / Publication / Hoard
.................... if Exhibition:
...................... Date:
...................... Name:
...................... Number:
.................... if Collection:
...................... Name:
.................... if Publication:
...................... Catalog: dropdown list with current catalogs
.................... if Hoard:
...................... Name/Location:
...................... Date:
.................... if Auction:
...................... House:
...................... Auction:
...................... Date / Location (?):
...................... Lot:
...................... Grade: grade and comments (slabbed, scratched, cleaned, toned, etc)
...................... Sold: yes / no
......................... if sold: price
......................... if not sold: estimate

So for example, one coin can have 4 varieties. Variety #3 has 2 examples with pictures. And the first example has records for 3 Auction sales.

hope it makes sense
regards
strato:wiz:
Agree that we need better system to list variations and a new way to display more than two pictures will be helpfull.
Currently I list these sometimes in Comments but that seems not to be used in a unified way in Numista.

Still sorry to say but i feel these are two very different requests of improvement ideas.

I am here only talking about the possibility for users, referees etc. to add values based on actual completed numismatic auctions.

Thanks Strato for your hard and dedicated work here :wiz:

Paul
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Status changed to Accepted (Xavier, 17-Feb-2020, 21:56)
I fully agree we need data from more auction houses and sellers. Maybe not with the exact same implementation as you suggest, but definitely not only eBay.
Also, sale data are currently only aggregated to compute an estimated value. As you suggests, showing the data of the sales could be very interesting.
Topic moved to "Numista website" (Xavier, 17-Feb-2020, 22:01)
Paul,

Sorry for hijacking the thread 0:)

I suppose the only important point I tried to make is that auctions should be somehow linked to the variety and/or date. And this would imply for me first being able to properly record varieties, which are inconsistently listed, as you've well noted. The date line is a start I suppose.

The list... I assume that coins are some sort of objects in a class, that would need to be extended with some attributes?

Anyway, I'm happy this is accepted.

strato:wiz:
With all these worth values, there is no talk of date, when the coin was sold/bought. Even with current field "Buying value (EUR):", I don't know - but it seems as this value is supposedly being the same from the year 2015 till today, and thus is the average price in 2020 affected by the value added in 2015 (I may be wrong). There should be along with it the date of purchase. Prices probably will change thru time and some thing do not get cheaper - at least not in Slovenia, so... somekind of time input should also be included. Of course we could go in great specifics here, the prices vary also from country to country, and even if its sunny weather out there...
LP
This was added recently :)
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic105098.html
Status changed to Implemented (Xavier, 12-Feb-2021, 22:56)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 12:47.