Shipping Coins from USA, Help Needed

3 posts • viewed 73 times
Hello everyone!

I am new to Numista and was wondering if someone can give me some guidance on how to ship coins from the USA to other countries. I searched the forum, but all the information is a bit dated.

From what I realized you can ship the coins via USPS in these ways and I have several questions about them:

1. Regular envelope. The price starts at $1.20. Up to 3 oz. No tracking number.

Do you need to fill out Customs form if you send them like that? Can you add a tracking number and how much will it cost?

2. Large flat envelope. The price starts at $1.20. Up to 15 oz. No tracking number.

Do you need to fill out Customs form if you send them like that? Can you add a tracking number and how much will it cost?

3. International Firs-class package. It is more expensive, and they give you a tracking number if I am not mistaken. And needs a custom form.

When you fill out the custom, what do you put?

I understand that you cannot legally ship coins, but people label them as "hobby supplies, etc."

Please advise. I would appreciate any helpful feedback. I want the coins to reach addressee, with the cheapest cost, and with no headache for them (paying custom fees).
A lot will depend on how many coins you send and where you are sending them to. Many countries have less than reliable mail service, unfortunately; but all packages run the risk of being stolen, damaged or confiscated. Check with your swap partner on their wants, some won't swap without certified mail.
If the coins have a high value, certified or registered mail with a customs form is best, even with the higher cost. That is your best bet to be compensated if the coins are lost or stolen.
When filling out a customers form, hobby supplies usually works, or you can flat out lie.
The cheapest option is to put the coins securely between two pieces of cardboard (thickness depends on your want) and mail in a simple envelope. Try to hide the coins so they are not easily detectable by postal workers or others. This is also the riskiest way to send, because you have no protections, as you would with registered mail.
I think the way most members here are going is for large international swaps with higher coin values to validate the higher postal costs.
I hope that helps a little. I am sure you will get great advice as well.
Quote: "JRo69"​A lot will depend on how many coins you send and where you are sending them to. Many countries have less than reliable mail service, unfortunately; but all packages run the risk of being stolen, damaged or confiscated. Check with your swap partner on their wants, some won't swap without certified mail.
​If the coins have a high value, certified or registered mail with a customs form is best, even with the higher cost. That is your best bet to be compensated if the coins are lost or stolen.
​When filling out a customers form, hobby supplies usually works, or you can flat out lie.
​The cheapest option is to put the coins securely between two pieces of cardboard (thickness depends on your want) and mail in a simple envelope. Try to hide the coins so they are not easily detectable by postal workers or others. This is also the riskiest way to send, because you have no protections, as you would with registered mail.
​I think the way most members here are going is for large international swaps with higher coin values to validate the higher postal costs.
​I hope that helps a little. I am sure you will get great advice as well.
​Thank you for your response. I understand that for more expensive coins, I would ship them via registered mail. And won't bother with a few inexpensive ones. But when we talk about $30-$40 value, maybe 8-10 oz., I don't know what to do. Certainly, I want the coins to arrive fine, but at the same time, it is too much to pay $15-$20 for the shipping.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 13:54.