Old gold coin trying to find identity.

22 posts • viewed 290 times

» Quick access to the last post

My wife showed me a coin that she was given many years ago that peaked my interest. I have collected US coins almost all my life so I have no idea if this is a real coin or not. From the weight and color I am assuming that it is gold. One side looks like a sow laying on its side with piglets feeding. The other side is letting but not sure what language. The lettering appears to be English alphabet. It is pretty well worn so details are difficult. The size is as follows, diameter in inch. .810 to .9. The coin looks roughly made, not stamped. More like handmade. So the coin is not perfectly round. This also goes for the thickness which is, .159 to .118. The weight of this coin is 10g.
It would be much easier for everyone to help you if you can provide pictures.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Welcome to Numista. It will be very difficult for anybody to identify what you have without photos although many would like to help.
From your description I doubt it, but could it be a 1/2 Pingin from Ireland? It has the pig with piglets design, but that's about the only thing that sort of matches...

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces4573.html

or

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces4313.html
"What we are is not as important as what we aren't"
This is the coin he is talking about.

Quote: "iiruig"​This is the coin he is talking about.

​Any idea what it actually is then?
Quote: "glorkar"
​​Any idea what it actually is then?
​I have no idea. I maybe see some Greek lettering there, but don't quote me on that.
Ah, sorry. Didn't realize it was the /actual/ coin in his possession. I thought you had figured out what it was and were posting the solve.
Quote: "glorkar"​Ah, sorry. Didn't realize it was the /actual/ coin in his possession. I thought you had figured out what it was and were posting the solve.
​No, this is your coin. I just helped you to move it from the other thread.
I really thank all of you for working on this. The coin looks and feels like gold but the pictures don't show that. The coin really looks old. I don't know if it really is. I will try to take some better picture. Thanks all of you.
Maybe these are better pictures
Hmm. Definitely a tricky one. To me it looks like that first line says "MErAnO" = Merano, which is an Italian city.
The first word is ΜΕΓΑΛΟΥ, but the Y is unclear. This means "of the great ..." and yes, it is Greek.

With better pictures I could probably say more.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Wow, thank you. I will take more pics this morning and post them. I really want to thank everyone helping me with this.
I hope this helps.
These are better. Sorry about the last post. I sent the ones from before.
Interesting coin. Judging from the photos it looks silver to me not gold. You could post it to https://www.forumancientcoins.com/ , that community is more focused on ancient coins than Numista but first please take better photos. Try putting the coin on a neutral background like a plain white A4 paper, hold your phone still and focus its camera on the coin. Also make sure lighting is good and there are no shadows.
I collect and deal in ancient Roman coin. In case you're looking for affordable ancient coins or need any help with the coins you already have send me a message.
The second line starts: ΤΗΣΘ... = "T E S TH..."

The third line starts with a Θ... = "TH..."
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Update on this coin. I have given this my guess as to the lettering on the coin. On the last line the "m and I " are very close together. The I on the left side of the M seems to be leaning on the M. Also it looks like there is a 7th letter on the last row but is partially removed because of wear. I hope this will help. I also have been scouring ancient Greek coins that had a pig on them with no luck.
Thanks again to everyone helping with this.
Quote: "Nacra5.8"​Update on this coin. I have given this my guess as to the lettering on the coin. On the last line the "m and I " are very close together. The I on the left side of the M seems to be leaning on the M. Also it looks like there is a 7th letter on the last row but is partially removed because of wear. I hope this will help. I also have been scouring ancient Greek coins that had a pig on them with no luck.
​Thanks again to everyone helping with this.
​I think the 3rd letter is "Г" - greek gamma, the 5th letter is "Λ" - lambda. The first word should be something close to MEGALO (Y) in pronunciation, meaning "great", "big".
Quote: "cro321"​Interesting coin. Judging from the photos it looks silver to me not gold. You could post it to https://www.forumancientcoins.com/ , that community is more focused on ancient coins than Numista but first please take better photos. Try putting the coin on a neutral background like a plain white A4 paper, hold your phone still and focus its camera on the coin. Also make sure lighting is good and there are no shadows.
​Many antique gold coins are made from a mixture of silver and gold
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrum
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Thank you. It could be silver and gold mix, I do not know. I am new to this, my experience has been with US coins only.
Given the possibility of the letters being correct does anyone know what the wording of the coin means?

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 02:03.