How to add new coins quickly

10 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hi, fellow collectors.
I am a new member, my name is Emiliano Micalizzi and I am from Rome.
I am trying to contribute to the site adding some coins that are not in the Numista catalogue.
The problem is that it seems to be a long thing to do.
Every time I want to add a new coin, I have to do the following four steps:

1) go to "Country List"
2) select any country
3) click on "Add new coin"
4) add the new coin data

And for the next coin... I have to repeat all these four steps again and again. It takes a lot of time. :snif:

It would be nice if adding coins could be easier, for example placing the "Add new coin" button on every page, or making a page that is used only for adding new coins: if users could add coins quickly, without having to do it in 4 steps, I am sure people would feel more encouraged to add coins, and all the community would benefit from that.
Or, maybe, there is already a way for adding new coins quickly. If so, please explain me how to do it, and I will keep on adding new coins more quickly...
Hi,

First of all, welcome on Numista!

This might sound strange to you, but I purposely made the operation to add coin complicated. I don't want people to add new coins too fast, without having thoroughly checked that it isn't already in the catalog.

However, it's possible to skip some steps. From any page of the catalog (country page / search result, coin page), a right click will open a menu and you can choose "create a new coin". You can thus create a new coin directly after having created the previous one.
Hi, Xavier.
Good job: the site is very useful, and I hope it will grow fast.
Thank you for your explanation.
Of course, I will always post new coins only when I am sure that I am not making mistakes.
Anyway, there will always be identification problems, because the KM Catalog tends to change, edition after edition. But we'll try to be as precise as we can.

I need to add a silver bar, like this one: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRl4E8NhIv1k_peyniw2lsz5Rz6uxXQfI5frYv0bhRi1gm7IdNWjg

How do I add it?
~Divine
Whew! I did not know that, thanks Xavier!

I used to type gibberish like "njkfajskpjf" and nothing would come out, then I proceed to add a coin.

Best,
SRL
Quote: "Divine"​I need to add a silver bar, like this one: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRl4E8NhIv1k_peyniw2lsz5Rz6uxXQfI5frYv0bhRi1gm7IdNWjg

​How do I add it?
​Silver bars should be added to Exunomia or Tokens, if at all on Numista.

Meanwhile, there is a way to add coins faster, especially if they are of similar dimensions, or the same series:

1) Fill out coin page; click 'add coin'.

2) At the 'The coin has been/will soon be published' page, click the back button on your browser (I'm using Google Chrome on Mac).

3) The form with spaces filled out will re-appear, change any information as necessary for the next coin and submit again.

4) Repeat as many times as necessary.

I started an improvement suggestion thread to implement a tool to allow referees to create duplicates of existing pages which we would then edit for new coins similar to existing ones (e.g. Piedforts, Essais, off-metal strikes).
Quote: "Divine"​I need to add a silver bar, like this one: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRl4E8NhIv1k_peyniw2lsz5Rz6uxXQfI5frYv0bhRi1gm7IdNWjg

​How do I add it?
​Bars of this kind are NOT to be added to Numista, sorry.
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Ok. Thanks! One more thing. Can I add copper coins "1 oz 99.9% Copper" like this one to my collection?
~Divine
Quote: "Divine"​Ok. Thanks! One more thing. Can I add copper coins "1 oz 99.9% Copper" like this one to my collection?
​Late reply but yes in the category Exonumia. See an example here.
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 03:00.